Tuesday, May 6, 2014

It's all about backgrounds

I wanted to share two cards in this post, both using some online challenges. 
 First off, I used the CAS(e) this sketch challenge.  The sketch is simple and, what I love about that, open to some great interpretations.  I started out creating a neat background with a Crafters Workshop stencil and some Distress Stain on Tim Holtz watercolor paper.  That bottom border piece is a die from My Favorite Things.
 My main element is a digital image from A Day for Daisies.  What I love about using these is that I get to pick the size of the image.  I printed it out and gave it some subtle coloring with Copic markers and then cut it out.  The sentiment is from a set by Neat and Tangled.
 Here is the CAS(e) this sketch challenge.  
 And, for more about backgrounds, I wanted to play with the Lawnscaping challenge to create your own background.  I LOVE the trend to use feather images and die cuts.  It is one trend I want to stay around for awhile.  I particularly like the Lawn Fawn feather stamps and matching dies because the image is the outline of the feather meaning I get to create the design of the feather.  
 I started out with some Heidi Swapp gold spray.  This just might be one of my most favorite newer products.  It is the best gold and can be used as a spray or you can use drops of it.  I created a grungy background with the gold and then stamped the smaller of the feathers randomly all over that.  I did emboss the black ink because it makes that a little more vivid and intense.  I finished the card off with some cut feathers and a sentiment that is also from Lawn Fawn.  
 I added little drops of a purple Distress Stain and a great blue Heidi Swapp spray, using that in drops.  
Here is the Lawnscaping challenge.
Thanks for visiting, Linda (lbpost)

5 comments:

  1. Great cards! Love these funky backgrounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty card. Love your colour combi and the beautiful image you printed out and coloured. Great card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That background you created is simply stunning! Love! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Lawnscaping Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous artsy background!
    Thanks for joining us at Lawnscaping

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Love the background you've created! I love the feather trend too and I think that mixed with gold it looks perfect!!

    Thank you so much for playing with us at Lawnscaping challenges!

    ReplyDelete